The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering offers an undergraduate Honors Program for students who seek to be challenged by advanced subjects and receive additional distinction with their undergraduate degrees.
This individually tailored program culminates with the awarding of an Honors Certificate, awarded for Fall, Spring and Summer graduates in the student’s senior year.
Students enrolled in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering Honors Program are encouraged to participate in the honors programs offered through the Honors College.
- Opportunities for ChBE Honors Students:
- discover career opportunities
- explore engineering issues from multiple perspectives in forum setting
- enhance your degree status
- honors co-op and internship program (Approval Form)
- study challenging problems
- options to work or study abroad
HONORS BY CONTRACT
Students may earn up to 6 hours of honors credit in appropriate regularly scheduled JUNIOR and SENIOR level courses through satisfactory completion of the terms of an Honors By Contract. Though uncommon in CHE courses, this is coordinated by UA’s Honors College.
- No application required (recognition is at graduation).
- Incoming freshmen must have minimum high school GPA of 3.3 and ACT score of at least 28 or SAT score of 1240.
- Transfer Students must have minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.3 and ACT score of at least 28 or SAT score of 1240.
- Current UA students must have minimum cumulative UA GPA of 3.3.
- Students must complete 18 hours of honors credit (as outlined below) and maintain a UA GPA of 3.3 to graduate with honors in chemical engineering.
18 hours honors credit required (minimum)
- Required Class (1 hour minimum)
- ChBE Honors Forum – CHE 325 (offered each semester with rotating subjects and different professors; students may take honors forum more than once)
- ChBE Honors Credit (6 hours minimum)
- ChBE Honors Electives – CHE 413, CHE 419, CHE 441, CHE 446, new electives CHE 49x (honors) or other honors-designated CHE lecture courses
- ChBE Honors Undergraduate Research – CHE 498
- ChBE Honors Co-Op/Internship – CHE 497
- ChBE Honors Undergraduate Teaching Assistantship – CHE 499
- ChBE courses taken as Honors By Contract
- ChBE Curriculum Honors courses (5 hours minimum of any classes that are part of the curriculum):
- Chemistry (CH)
- Physics (PH)
- Biology (BY)
- Mathematics (MA)
- General Engineering Studies (GES)
- and others (additional CHE courses can fit this category)
- Other University Honors classes (6 hours minimum) selected from any honors-listed class at UA (additional CHE or curriculum classes can fit this category)
- At least 3 hours of the above must be an experiential class (research, internship, co-op). CHE 497, 498 or 499
Planning to graduate with ChE Honors? Senior Checklist
For additional information about the Honors Program, contact Dr. Chris Brazel.