The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering offers an undergraduate Honors Program for students who seek to be challenged by both independent and team projects and receive additional distinction with their undergraduate degrees.
This individually tailored program culminates with the awarding of an Honors Certificate and recognition at the Honors Day Ceremony in the student’s senior year.
Students enrolled in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering Honors Program are encouraged to participate in one of the three University-wide honors programs offered through the Honors College.
- Opportunities for ChBE Honors Students:
- discover career opportunities
- explore engineering issues from multiple perspectives in forum setting
- enhance your degree status
- honors co-op program (Approval Form)
- study challenging problems
- options to work or study abroad
Honors by Contract
Students may earn up to 6 hours of honors credit in appropriate regularly scheduled JUNIOR and SENIOR level courses through satisfactory completion of the terms of an Honors By Contract. This contract requires a prospectus, prepared by the student consultation with his/her professor and with the Honors Program Director. The prospectus must be approved by the Professor, his/her Department Head, and the Honors Program Director.
- No application required.
- Incoming freshmen must have minimum high school GPA of 3.3 and ACT score of at least 28 or SAT score of 1240.
- Transfer Students must have minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.3 and ACT score of at least 28 or SAT score of 1240.
- Current UA students must have minimum cumulative UA GPA of 3.3.
- Students must maintain a UA GPA of 3.3 to remain in the honors program.
18 hours honors credit required (minimum)
- Required Class (1 hour minimum)
- ChBE Honors Forum – ChE 225, ChE 325, ChE 425
- ChBE Honors Credit (6 hours minimum)
- ChBE Honors Electives – ChE 512, ChE 525, ChE 538, ChE 545
- ChBE Honors Research/Design – ChE 498, ChE 499
- ChBE Honors Co-Op/Internship – ChE 498, ChE 499
- ChBE Honors Seminar – ChE 495, ChE 496
- ChBE Honors By Contract
- ChBE Curriculum Honors courses (5 hours minimum)
- Other University Honors classes (6 hours minimum) selected from any honors-listed class at UA
- At least 3 hours of the above must be an experiential class (research, internship, co-op).
Planning to graduate with ChE Honors? Senior Checklist
For additional information about the Honors Program, contact Dr. John Kim.