Dr. Milad R. Esfahani
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Functionalized Membranes for Sustainable Water and Energy Production
- Water-Wastewater Treatment (Heavy Metals and Rare Earth Elements Separation) and Desalination
- Nanomaterials Environmental Safety
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, 2014
- M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Science and Research University, 2010
- B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, AISH University, 2007
Dr. Milad Esfahani’s group uses a multidisciplinary approach to develop novel functionalized membranes with ultimate goal of water ‐ wastewater treatment and energy production.
Our research field is at the interface of several disciplines including separation science, nanotechnology, materials science and colloid science that links to the water‐energy‐food nexus. In the field of functionalized membranes, we are developing functionalized membranes with enhanced selectivity properties where they can provide higher permeability and less (bio) fouling.
Our research group will develop different strategies to incorporate nanoparticles with specific properties such as photo catalytic activity of titanium dioxide nanoparticles, highly adsorptive properties of multiwall carbon nanotube, anti‐bacterial properties of silver nanoparticles, and high absorptive properties of metal organic frameworks to the polymeric structure of the membranes for creation of advanced antifouling membranes. We use both computational and experimental approaches to design engineered membranes for water desalination, water purification and energy production.
Also, in the field of nanomaterials environmental safety, we are studying the transport and fate of nanomaterials in aquatic environment.
PUBLICATIONS AND PATENTS:
- Mohammad Mozafari, S Fatemeh Seyedpour, Saeed Khoshhal Salestan, Ahmad Rahimpour, Ahmad Arabi Shamsabadi, Mostafa Dadashi Firouzjaei, Milad Rabbani Esfahani, Alberto Tiraferri, Hamed Mohsenian, Marco Sangermano, Masoud Soroush “Facile Cu-BTC surface modification of thin chitosan film coated polyethersulfone membranes with improved antifouling properties for sustainable removal of manganese” Journal of Membrane Science, 588 (2019) 117200, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2019.117200)
- Milad Rabbani Esfahani*, Sadegh Aghapour Aktij, Zoheir Dabaghian, Mostafa Dadashi Firouzjaei, Ahmad Rahimpour, Joyner Eke, Isabel C. Escobar, Mojtaba Abolhassani, Lauren F.Greenlee, Amirsalar R.Esfahani, Anwar Sadmani, Negin Koutahzadeh “Nanocomposite membranes for water separation and purification: Fabrication, modification, and applications” Journal of Separation and Purification Technology, 213 (2019) 465-499, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2018.12.050)
- Mostafa Dadashi Firouzjaei, Ahmad Arabi Shamsabadi, Sadegh Aghapour Aktij, Fatemeh Seyedpour, Mohammad Sharifian, Ahmad Rahimpour, Milad Rabbani Esfahani*, Mathias Ulbricht, Mathias, Masood Soroush, “Effects of Graphene Oxide and a Silver-based Metal-Organic Framework to Enhance Antifouling and Anti-biofouling Properties of Thin Film Nanocomposite Membranes” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 10 (49) (2018) 42967–42978 (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsami.8b12714)
- Milad Rabbani Esfahani*, Negin Koutahzadeh, Amirsalar R. Esfahani, Mostafa Dadashi Firouzjaei, Benjamin Anderson, Lauren Peck, “A novel gold nanocomposite membrane with enhanced permeation, rejection and self-cleaning ability” Journal of Membrane Science, 573 (2018) 309-319 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2018.11.061)
- “Enhanced performance of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes /polysulfone nanocomposite membrane with improved permeability and antifouling properties for water treatment”, Negin Koutahzadeh, Rabbani Esfahani*, Ferriss Bailey, Autumn Taylor, Amirsalar R. Esfahani, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 6 (2018) 5683–5692 , (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.08.049)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Outstanding Professor Award, Chemical Engineering Department, TTU, 2016
- Doctoral of Philosophy the Best Paper Award, College of Engineering, TTU, 2015
- Outstanding Ph.D. Candidate of the Year, Chemical Engineering Department, TTU, 2014